Re: national security

At 17:35 30/11/03, Michael H. Lambert wrote:
Dear jfc,
As far as I can tell, you have gone only by your initials on this thread. To help some of us weigh this discussion, could you please identify yourself by name and affiliation?

Sorry for this. The question was asked and replied to, but I did not note the list was not in copy.

I am used to do this for long because I think what is debated is important, not the persons (when I want to know the competences of someone I go to the person's site).

This is precisely a part of the concern: will IETF practically be able to understand and treat equally needs/inputs from Pittsburgh and from every other place and culture. What to suggest if not? Analysing and working together world and technical cultures wide is not that easy (look at my exchanges even with John Klensin). If you follow the WSIS you know that this type of concern is the crux of the current negociation.

So who I am should not impact on the responses to what is a documented call for warning, advice or aternatives on vital issues. Or a specialized body must be created.

I am JFC Morfin. You will find my professionnal site at http://utel.net. I created in 1978 the SIAT/Intlnet ( http://intlnet.org ) which assumed until 1986 the role of very very lean ICANN the international public packet switch network needs. After 9/11 I called a study group at the DNSO/BC to propose the writing of an ICP-4 ICANN Document over Global Security. The limited interest of the next MdR meeting on Security, the annoucements of M$ and Richard Clarke's mission led to launch a project and a study named dot-root (http://dot-root.com). It strictly abode by ICANN ICP-3 to organize a DNS double test bed with an unique and a parallel root systems. The study (French) was presented earlier this year to people in charge. As part of the follow up there is a meeting on national vulnerabilities to the DNS/IPv6 as identified by the study and readers feed-backs. This does not directly concern sites nor network protection, but lives, economy, culture, way of life, e-government, development, sovereignty, etc protection - not theoretical but right-now.

jfc