RE: Re[4]: national security

Michel,

> The organization has 800 hosts, all behind NAT (they have PA space, NAT
> is there for renumbering ease), and there is only a small fraction of
> servers that have one-to-one NAT and therefore require a public IP per
> host. In your average 800 hosts network (if such a thing exists) it
> turns out that a /26 would have been enough.
>
> Where's the catch? This organization gets a frac-DS3, and the network
> administrator thinks "what the hell, I have 800 hosts and therefore I'll
> request 2 class Cs anyway even if I don't need them, it does not cost
> more, and who knows if I won't need them later". The organization does
> get 512 addresses out of which it really uses 50, but the network
> administrator likes seating on a cushion especially if it costs nothing.

And in the real world i'm shelling out almost $100 US for barely half a
gig of burst transfer and two v4 addresses, from two providers.   i have 9
hosts altogether, NATed behind the two gateway machines, which route v6
address space to the remainder of the hosts.  But guess what... if i want
v4 addresses on all the hosts, i have to shell out almost as much as i am
paying for the circuits, with no throughput benefit.  At least using the
NAT/v6 combo, i can see all of my hosts and use some of their services
from part of the public internet (albeit not very much of it).

> IPv4 addresses _are_ a commodity; on cheap markets (home/soho) more
> addresses means more money.

And its a sad state of affairs, just like the DNS.
Its like we are saying:  "Oh yes, yes indeed, the internet is for
everyone, regardless of religion, race, creed, financial standing, or
ideology, as long as you have a major credit card.  If not, bugger off,
we dont like your type."

> On more expensive links (above T1) it still
> means money but that money is washed out in the bottom line. When home
> DS-3s are available for $79/mo, expect to pay more money if you need
> more than a handful of addresses.

See above.  Whereas I have a free v6 /48, as i probably would have a free
v4 allocation if i were in the game around the time i was getting my first
trs-80 from santa.

> Pre-CIDR blocks sell on eBay, this is a gray market that I would not
> recommend going into but it does happen anyway. When IPv4 addresses
> become scarce, we will find out that lots of people that have stockpiled
> them would be ready to let half of their block go if there is a sound
> financial reason to do so.

How does one go about routing something like that?

> IPv4 address will never run out. They will simply be available to
> whoever has money to pay for them.

No, but market pressures cited above will render v4 obsolete quicker.

Scott

> Michel.

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3