Re: national security

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Paul Robinson wrote:

> ... realistically there is only one option left for a single,
> cohesive Internet to remain whilst taking into account ALL the World's
> population: ICANN needs to become a UN body.

If you look at what ICANN really and truly does you will see that it has
little, if any, real role relating to internet technology.  Rather it is
an organization that, for the most part, imposes the business goals of a
selected and limited set of priviliged "stakeholders" onto the operation
of businesses that sell domain names.

Moving ICANN from the blind-oversight of the US Deparment of Commerce to
the UN or ITU ill only widen the stage for those privileged
"stakeholders".  A move to the UN or ITU, by itself, will not improve the
security of the net or or any nation.

Without major structural reforms (such as I suggest at
http://www.cavebear.com/rw/apfi.htm ) ICANN will remain a non-technical
body that regulates and governs internet business practices.

As for this thread - national security - One has to remember that ICANN's
reaction to 9/11 was to create a committee.  That committee is filled with
intelligent and skilled worthies, many of whom have deep IETF roots.
However that committee, with respect to the matter of security, was
essentially stillborn and silent.  It has only come to life recently as a
vehicle to rebut Verisign's "Sitefinder".  As an institutional matter,
ICANN has demonstrated that it really is not suited to deal with the
technical issues of security, much less the intricate balancing of public
policy in which security choices must necessarily be made.

Moving ICANN to the UN will not, without major structural changes in
ICANN, improve this.

Some of those changes have occurred already:

ICANN has abandoned the actual operation of the dns root servers to those
who are actually doing that job.  This is a very good thing because the
latter group are not merely extremely competent, but they are also clearly
focused on the job of running root servers and have shown that they do not
care to use their role to enforce someone's idea of intellectual property
protection.

And ICANN has abandoned the allocation of IP addresses to the regional IP
address registries.  Again this is a good thing because there are few
within ICANN who remember that this was one of ICANN's three original
purposes, much less understand the technical and economic impact of
address allocation policies.  The RIRs, on the otherhand *do* understand
this.

Personally I do not care whether ICANN is under the US Department of
Commerce or becomes a branch of the ITU.  Both are imperfect.  As a US
Citizen I can (and have) gone to the DoC and argued my side.  I'd probably
have a smaller voice where things to move to the ITU.  On the other hand,
most of the people in the world are not US citizens and thus could find
the ITU more open to them.

For me the core issue is not under what banner ICANN exists.  For me the
issue is restructuring ICANN-like vehicles of internet governance into
things that really have a synoptic view, that are not captured by a few
selected commercial "stakeholders", and that need not be brought before a
judge (as I had to do with ICANN) in order to compel them to be open,
transparent, and accountable.

> Neither do I, but ICANN have clearly demonstrated:

> 3. Putting Computer Scientists in charge of anything is fundamentally a
> bad idea....

Let's dispell a big chunk of that myth - ICANN has never been controlled
by computer scientists.  The board has a always had a few people with rich
knowledge of the internet, but they were always a very tiny minority.

Let us not forget that one of ICANN's first acts was to dismantle the job
of "Chief Technology Officer".

The myth that ICANN is run by network experts has caused great damage.
First of all, there is no reason to believe that those versed in computer
science are more capable of making public policy decisions than others.
That myth of the Golden Age of Technical Kings died at the end of the
1930's.  [Take a look at the H.G.  Wells movie "Things To Come" to see
that myth in full flower.]

Second, the myth has created a screen of deference that hides the acts of
those privileged "stakeholders" who have proven to be very skilled at
using ICANN to promote certain intellectual property agendas to the
exclusion of nearly everything else.

> In fact, they have shown they are worse at being in charge than
> politicians and lawyers...

Most of the people involved in all of this affair are good, smart, and
well intended.  There are few Iagos.  ICANN is a glimpse of the future
that occurs when groups with different values and different uses of a
common language don't spend the time to really work down to fundamental
issues and goals.  I blame much of this on e-mail.  E-mail impedes the
development of those personal contacts that are necessary to build the
trust needed to bridge the differences of opinion and find the common
grounds.

The UN won't cause that to be fixed.

Marshall Rose came up with the notion of "doers" and "goers".  Bodies such
as ICANN are always going to be heavy with "goers".  Without structural
reform, dragging ICANN to the UN won't fix that.

> >On the other hand, one of the nice things about the network as
> >it is now constituted is that anyone has the option of
> >opting-out...

> No, no, no, NO. To allow this would to happen would be a genuine shame.
> How popular is Internet2? Why? I rest my case...

Internet-2 is as reachible as any other part of the net.  It shares the
common address space, it shares the common space of dns names.  To a great
extent one can think of I-2 as a wonderfully overprovisioned part of the
net as a whole.

There are various pressures that are building - spam, content control,
"DRM", nationalistic goals, etc - that are pushing to fragment the net in
far more serious ways.  See my short (and flawed) essay on this point at
http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000051.html

		--karl--