RE: IETF58 - Network Facts

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Would it be possible to publish a list of MAC addresses that were
> operating in ad-hoc or AP mode?  If all of the happened to come from a
> signle manufacturer, that might be a very interesting data point.

A lot -- possibly even a majority -- of the cards I saw operating in
ad-hoc mode were using mac address prefixes that aren't assigned
to any manufacturer by the IEEE [1]. Many started with the octet "C0".
I even saw a card in ad-hoc mode with a MAC address of FF:FF:FF::FF:FF:FF.

/a

[1] According to http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt
    which is updated daily.