Re: IETF58 - Network Status

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Kevin C. Almeroth wrote:

> >>if you want to show up with encoders I'll give you an audio/video feed...
> >>then you can baby your boxes and not go to any meeting you want all week
> >>just like me. I would be able lot cheaper and less work if the multicast
> >>folks just paid to go to the meeting like normal people.
>
> Actually, I'm not even sure I agree with this.  The reason is because if
> we had more than a handful of people watching remotely, it would add quite
> a bit of congestion to the network link.
>
> So, if you are willing to be sent a unicast stream and then provide the
> bandwidth to replicate it to everyone else in the world who wants it by
> unicast, then I think we have a doable solution.

I'm sorry I sort of assumed that would be necessary for anything beyond
minimal bitrates... We source around 6Mb/s from the ietf, even the sources
we reflect to other multicast streams (like the ssm sources) we do from
some location off of the conference network, such as the UO.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx