Re: IETF58 - Network Status

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 04:39:03PM +0100, Roland Bless allegedly wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:53:09 +0100 "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ"
> <jordi.palet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I believe that the terminal room, with wired connectivity, is no
> > longer needed. But the terminal room, as a place with tables, is
> > very
>
> I disagree here. Having a _stable_ (fallback) network access,
> especially when shifting around larger files, is very convenient. I'm
> not in favor of abandoning the fixed net access (except if cutting
> down the costs require it).

Fairly soon, all relevant hotels will offer their own wireless access,
as well as connectivity from your room, and from suites, as a fallback.
Also, in a meeting, one can pass CDs or USB thingies around.  Risk of
serious long-term wireless outage is low.  How much are you willing to
pay in order to reduce risk to 0% and to have your fallback network be
nice and convenient?  IETF finances are not in good shape.