RE: IETF58 - Network Status

> Randall Gellens wrote:
> I have been consistently unable to maintain a connection
> for more than a very few minutes, usually not even lon
> enough to establish a VPN tunnel and fetch one message.
> The 802.11 coverage comes and goes; the APs seem to
> vanish and I see nothing for a while, eventually the
> network comes back but only briefly.  This has been
> the case in every session I've attended, as well as
> tonight's plenary.  It doesn't seem to matter if the
> room is crowded or empty, or where I sit.

I have had the same issue. Not suggesting the way I solved it is the
"right" one, it turned out that when I replaced my Linksys 802.11b with
a brand new Motorola 802.11g the problem went away; there is a Radio
Shark on the third floor of City Center that sells them for $70.

If your WiFi card is a removable PCMCIA one, try to swap it temporarily
with another one; some of the older card would work fine in less crowded
environments but can't take the heat of the kind of WiFi we have for
meetings.

Michel.