Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

Dave Crocker wrote:
>                                               This poses a fundamental
>barrier for users needing mail addresses to be expressed in a richer set of
>characters,

I have yet to see this "need" established.  Everyone who has supported
internationalised mail addresses has axiomatically assumed such a need,
and has conspicuously failed to provide any more detail, such as any of
Keith Moore's suggestions.

I think the first task in this area should be to investigate the nature
and degree of desire for non-ASCII local parts.  This desire needs to
be weighed against the benefits we derive from writing all local parts
in a small, fixed alphabet (ASCII printables).

-zefram