Re: IETF mission boundaries (Re: IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission )

--On 16. oktober 2003 13:15 -0400 Eric Rosen <erosen@cisco.com> wrote:

- "For the Internet" - only the stuff that is directly involved in
making  the Internet work is included in the IETF's scope.

In other words, routing, DNS, and Internet operations/management. Adopting this as the IETF's mission would be a very radical change indeed!

I erred in describing that category. I should have used something else - it was not what the IESG thought it was saying in its proposed mission statement, so me recycling the term "for the Internet" in the bulleted list I made added confusion rather than clarifying. Sorry!

(I still think it's a valid point on the scale. It leaves us with a much smaller IETF. But some people tend to think that's a positive side.)

Harald