Re: IETF mission boundaries (Re: IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission )

> From: Eric Rosen <erosen@cisco.com>

> > Sheesh!--next you'll be telling us that you never heard the phrase
> > "out of scope" before last week.
>
> Sure I have.  There's  hardly a piece of work done by  the IETF that someone
> hasn't claimed to  be out of scope.   It's just that the phrase  is not used
> consistently.

That's true.

>                If  we look at the  historical facts about the  work that the
> IETF has traditionally taken on, it's hard to draw any conclusion other than
> that anything  is in  scope which  promotes and facilitates  the use  of the
> Internet and of IP infrastructure.  And I think that's exactly what the IETF
> should be doing.

That's wrong.  At best it's meaningless.  For example it supports
lobbying Congress.

> > The example I'm thinking about involved predecessors to OpenGL.
>
> As this example  doesn't even involve communication over  a network, I would
> agree that it is out of scope.   ...

It was out of scope, but not because it did not involve putting graphics
stuff over UDP or TCP, because it did.  My fellow employees in SGI's
network group and I breathed a sigh of releaf when Ron returned from
an IETF meeting to report that "out of scope" had carried the day
against other IETF participants who thought that knowing people who
knew about Nagle and congestion control and avoidance was enough to
design graphics remote procedure calls or similar.  It's not that
other examples such as X couldn't have used more network knowledge to
avoid problems (e.g. the mouse stuff), but that the network stuff is
the tail of that and many other dogs.  Because of my employement
history, I may know a little more about how to do graphics in general
or over IP networks than many IETF participants, but I know that I'm
abjectly completely utterly incompetent for doing exactly what the
IETF started to do in that case.

> > Often the brutal  WG chairs say they don't think the  WG knows enough, but
> > it's the scope arguments that carry the day.
>
> I've never had  much luck myself with scope arguments,  unless they could be
> backed up with an argument either that the center of expertise is elsewhere,
> or that the topic has no bearing on IP.  Of course, people will sometimes be
> willing  to  agree  that  the  center  of  expertise  is  elsewhere  without
> necessarily agreeing that they themselves aren't experts ;-) Sometimes scope
> arguments are merely  face-saving ways of saying "we don't  know what we are
> doing".  Other times, scope arguments are merely "polite" ways of saying "we
> don't think  you know what  you are doing".   You almost never  hear someone
> saying "that sounds like a really  good idea, but unfortunately it is out of
> scope".

Yes, with the proviso that you mean you usually don't hear people really
meaning that last sentence.  You certainly hear those words a lot.

If "out of scope" were removed as an acceptable reason to not do things,
then you would never squelch bad efforts.

I suspect the whole effort of defining IETF charters or missions is
a very bad idea.  It's often better to not spell things out, but to
rely on the good judgement of the people running the show.

Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com