RE: Persistent applications-level identifiers, the DNS, and RFC 2428

John,

> John C Klensin wrote:
> My goal is precisely to avoid ending up with either two
> standards or eight verbs.  Explanation of the latter:
>
>      IPv4      IPv6 & self-referent   DNS      StableID
>     address        address
> RFC    959           2428             ???        ???
> Verb  PORT,PASV    EPRT,EPSV     ?DPRT,DPSV? ?IPRT,IPSV?
>
> That seems to me excessive, if we can avoid it.  So the
> suggestion is whether, given that 2428 is at Proposed,
> maybe it would be worth revising it, and the syntax for
> EPRT and EPSV, to _permit_ use of a DNS name now and to
> provide a clear extension path for a generic/stable
> identifier.

There is an issue with backwards compatibility here:
Let's say we have a source host that has an implementation that allows
EPRT and EPSV to use a name as well as an address. The destination host
is a legacy host (meaning, a host implementing only 2428 as it is today,
address only). How will the destination react when receiving an EPSV
with a name instead of an address?

More generically, how will a host react when receiving an EPSV with foo
when foo is unknown? I am curious about the mechanism you envision to
determine what kind of info is being passed.

Michel.