Re: Persistent applications-level identifiers, the DNS, and RFC 2428

John,

The extensions in 2428 are in wide use, and they work just fine.  I
don't see any reason to change them.

Nor do I believe there is consensus that applications should always be
passing names in preference to IP addresses.  And until there is a
system for assigning stable names to hosts that are independent of
any administrative domain (since hosts often don't live in a single
administrative domain), and quickly and reliably mapping from those
names to IP addresses, the idea that applications should pass names in
preference to IP address is something that I would classify "fantasy"
at best.  In particular, DNS is not sufficient to replace IP addresses
in this role.

see also
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/opinions/ipv6/dns-as-endpoint-id.html

Keith