Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

Dean;

> > > I've never heard of such a system.
> >
> > DNS is an acronym of Domain Name System.
>
> This acronym, used in RFC 1034 and elsewere refers to a protocol.

As is clearly stated in the second paragraph of rfc1034,

	A subset of DNS functions and data types constitute an official
	protocol.

DNS system includes DNS protocol but is not DNS protocol.

> RFC 1034
> and subsequent RFCs describe the protocol.

Yes, rfc1034 does describe the protocol and other things. So what?

> You seem to think that
> Verisign operations are restricted by this protocol.

No. DNS is a system, not a protocol.

Verisign operations directly related to the protocol, is, of course,
restricted by the protocol, though, which is irrelevent.

> The fact still remains that DNS entries do not necessarilly imply
> registration, and that the DNS protocol cannot be used to make registry
> queries.

Domain registry is a part of DNS system and is of no importance
as long as proper names are returned for DNS queries.

							Masataka Ohta