Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:35:25 EDT, Dean Anderson said:

> If you send to more than one recipient, you still only transfer one
> message. You've been listening to too many open relay crackpots, instead
> of checking into how SMTP works.
>
> From RFC 821 section 2:
>
>    When the same message is sent to multiple recipients the SMTP
>    encourages the transmission of only one copy of the data for all the
>    recipients at the same destination host.
>
> I don't know of any MTA that doesn't do this.

Right. The point is that the Verisign SMTP responds with a fixed series of
reply codes (220, 250, 250, 550, 221).  So let's run that with 3 recipients:

220 snubby4-wceast Snubby Mail Rejector Daemon v1.3 ready
MAIL FROM..
250 OK
RCPT TO...
250 OK
RCPT TO...
550  User domain does not exist.
RCPT TO...
250 OK
DATA
221 snubby4-wceast Snubby Mail Rejector Daemon v1.3 closing transmission channel
<Connection closed by foreign host.>

Now what do you do, absent a 3xx reply to your DATA command?