Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Keith Moore wrote:

> this breaks anything that assumes (quite reasonably)
> that query to a a nonexistent domain will return NXDOMAIN.

That an invalid assumption to make. It was not made "quite reasonably",
but rather was made quite irrationally. In many or most cases, it was made
willfully, knowing and having been warned that such assumptions were
invalid.

I have little sympathy for the claims that this was somehow disruptive.
The people making these assumptions have known about and had been told of
the invalidity of those assumptions for many years. They didn't just learn
of this on Monday.  They were warned well in advance. All that happened on
Monday was that the hammer finally fell making those assumptions
operationally untenable.

> this does point out something about our standards - they're written
> assuming that people want to interoperate and that they're acting in
> good faith. while they might try to prohibit harmful behavior that might
> occur by accident, they weren't written to dictate the actions of
> potentially hostile parties (and I do regard VeriSign as hostile)

This is also unreasonable. Verisign is not hostile.

		--Dean