Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

> From: James M Galvin <galvin+ietf@elistx.com>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, the principle disruption -- and I want to
> emphasize disruption here -- I've seen is that a particular spam
> indicator no longer works as expected.  Is there more to this than that?

The list I've seen is:

 - failing to reject spam based on NXDOMAIN for the envelope sender.
     (What you term "the principle disruption")

 - rejecting legitimate mail because some long dead DNS-based
     blacklists are suddenly resolving

 - HTTP spiders will fetch Verisign's robots.txt a lot as they
    find bogus domains (e.g. typos in HREFs) resolving.

 - HTTP users see a stalled screen instead of an error message as
    their browsers wait for Verisign's overloaded HTTP server to
    deliver its advertising.

Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com