Re: You Might Be An Anti-Spam Kook If ...

>> 1. Vernon apparently got offended because I pointed out that he
>> didn't realize that MD5 checksum on IPv4 was easily breakable via
>> dictionary attack or that his use of it went his often public stated
>> condescending policy of "do not implement half-solutions".

And the applicable "Kook" rule from Mr. Schryver's bible that started this thread is:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg22092.html

"you are deeply offended when people do not agree that you have found the UFPSTTSP"

Which Mr. Schryver conveniently removed from his web site version (wonder why?):

http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html

>Perhaps Mr. Moore should recall my claim to archive mail.
>He wrote this:

Perhaps Mr. Schryver should recall my claim to archive mail.

The point I made in #1 above is that Mr. Schryver had apparently never considered the question until I asked it.  And then when I pointed out to him he got very offended, which violates one of his own rules for being a "Kook":

I wrote:
>> Yes that is why I wondered why you bothered to hash the IP at all.
>> I think this is case where you voilated your own principle of not
>> implementing "half solutions".  There is no security or privacy benefit
>> to hashing the IPs (because a brute force dictionary attack can be
>> built in 100 hours) and there would be benefits to not hashing them
>> such as my algorithm.  Now I have to carry around a 16 GB dictionary
>> (lookup table).

He responded:

>I doubt you have figured out how we thought the IP address might be used.

I responded:
What you thought is irrelevant to facts at hand.  The fact is the IPs can be reasonably extracted thus logically it is reasonably useless to hash them.

>>} So if you had 1% of that space, or 40 million IPs in your databases
>>} over time, then would take approx. 20 million minutes = 333,000
>>} hours = 15,000 days < 50 years to convert all MD5 back to IPv4s.
>
>I never did figure out what Mr. Moore meant by 15,000 days.  He
>could not have been thinking of doing on average 2 billion MD5 hashes

Can you read?  I wrote "1% of the space".

>for each of 4 billion IPv4 addresses, because that would have been
>silly and would have take more than 15,000 days.
>

>Ok, I'll stop feeding the troll now.

I will stop feeding the troll by posting in this thread now.  I predict he or his buddies won't stop posting in this thread.

Shelby Moore
http://AntiViotic.com