POP3 delivers, not deletes III

Harold I / Dan K said:
>A *lot* of POP-using programs have the "Leave Mail On Server" option.
>And a lot of people have used "Leave Mail On Server" as a poor man's
>1-folder IMAP, leading POP providers to implement mail retaining policies
>of the "RETR it once and it's gone, whether you DELEted it or not".
>
>This is shown up in RFC 1939 (current definition of POP3) section 8:
>>    .....In these situations and others, users and
>>    vendors of POP3 clients have discovered that the combination of using
>>    the UIDL command and not issuing the DELE command can provide a weak
>>    version of the "maildrop as semi-permanent repository" functionality
>>    normally associated with IMAP.
>...........and in response, server operators are recommended to:
>>    *  Enforce a site policy regarding mail retention on the server.
>>       Sites are free to establish local policy regarding the storage and
>>       retention of messages on the server, both read and unread.  For
>>       example, a site might delete unread messages from the server after
>>       60 days and delete read messages after 7 days.  Such message
>>       deletions are outside the scope of the POP3 protocol and are not
>>       considered a protocol violation.

Dan says:
Well, yes I guess it "their" server (somebody's). There are a few things obviously
desireble in POPX thet aren't in there. (deliver without Mime attachments as a preview, for
instance).

Seems like IMAP is kind of too much, and Pop3 is too little for a lot of users.

I wouldn't like it if the server did this. I'd rather have a fixed limit in size, and a
warning via email when its almost full, and have it reject messages beyond that size. But
that's me. I guess leaving it to the site is just a part of reality.

A tiny extention to allow "push" email just broadcasting the subject lines; (possible
encrypted) and headers generally would be cool. Like blackberry's protocol but not
proprietary.

In any case I think pretty soon a total rethink of email is in order... re
authentication/encryption/spam. but it's gotta be compatible and this will be tricky, to
say the least.
regs
Dan