Re: Proposal to define a simple architecture to differentiate legitimate bulk email from Spam (UBE)

>At 11:51 AM 9/7/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>>You can get mail no matter where you are with a POP account also.
>
>shelby, that's actually not true. If you have an enterprise email service
>that requires access to a VPN and the internet service you access it with
>(e.g hotel room ethernet) has a bad firewall configuration, you may never
>get to the mail. I speak with personal experience - the hotel I am in right
>now has screwed up its firewall. I ended up having to find an 802.11 hotspot
>to get to my email.

I understand but that was not my point.  My point is that you can put a web-based interface on top of your POP account to access it any where.  You still have a POP account which you are accessing any where if that is what you want.  The web-based interface is just another form of an email client.

The point is that you don't need to use a web-based email without an underlying POP account in order to access email from any where.  There are even places where HTTP web-based interface won't work (e.g. cell phone) and so you need to use a different form of email client to access.  Still you can have an underlying POP account that mail is being drawn from.