RE: A modest proposal - allow the ID repository to hold xml

--On Wednesday, 03 September, 2003 15:34 -0600 Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com> wrote:

From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@marconi.com>
On of the advantages of xml is that it marks up things like
references and authors with the function, rather than the
appearance.  You can much more easily generate html from xml
than the other way around. Improved formatting is good, but
improved cross references/author tracking/.... is also good.
With xml, we can get both, albeit somewhat indirectly.  I
think that for a small, simple step, xml is a better choice.

The same things were said the last half dozen times this issue came up. After about the second or third round in about 1989, PostScript was officially sanctioned. In some ways that went worse than opponents predicted, but in other ways better. The positive view is that PostScript for RFCs died. Since then we've had at least 2 or 3 rounds of "HTML is better" followed by at least two rounds not counting this one for XML.

It's one thing to advocate PostScript, MS Word, XML, HTML,
nroff, or whatever you like for the I-D submission format.
This morning some people seemed to be saying that XML should
only replace nroff.  I don't see the point, but then I use vi

Vernon,

The proposal seems to be evolving --or a straw man is being set up with which to kill it-- and I can't tell any more whether we agree or not. So let me try to restate things a bit...

(1) As an/the authoritative format, plain ASCII text, plus whatever additional format(s) the RFC Editor decides to permit to support drawings, etc., should almost certainly remain the target for the reasons you identify. And any of those "additional formats" should almost certainly be self-contained page description/ layout ones. I.e., although the RFC Editor might impose additional criteria, Postscript qualifies and PDF qualifies. No "mark up" language, be it nroff, XML, HTML, or others, ought to qualify because they require supplemental information, embedded in processors or elsewhere, to actually determine what is displaced.

(2) If a group of people, such as a WG, are collaborating on the development of a document, having the working format (whatever it is) readily available would seem to be an advantage. This should not make that format authoritative, or attach any special importance or validation to it relative to other formats.

Now I think that all that Brian proposed originally was that the XML format of Internet Drafts be made available when it happened to exist. Even though that might be letting the proverbial camel's nose into the tent, it strikes me as basically harmless and probably useful.

Did I misunderstand him? Do we disagree about part of the above and, if so, which part?

john