RE: A modest proposal - allow the ID repository to hold xml

> Paul Hoffman / IMC writes:
>  > At 1:22 PM -0400 9/2/03, Rosen, Brian wrote:
>  > >2) Ability to cross reference documents
>  >
>  > That benefit only appears if all, or a significant proportion, of the
>  > Internet Drafts are in XML or a similar format. That's not what you
>  > proposed.

>    It seems to me that a fairly simple hack could be
>    consed up to generate HTML or whatever for current
>    RFC's and drafts given .txt input which automatically
>    goes the through the references section to make
>    hyperlinks. In fact that would be a pretty
>    nifty feature regardless of this debate...

Such hacks already exist

	http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/

and work fairly well for the more recent RFCs, which follow a fairly
regular set of formatting rules. But internet-drafts are sufficiently
irregular in format that this approach doesn't seem to work all that well.

And why should you have to guess when you don't have to?

			Ned