RE: FW: Virus alert

> From: "Christian Huitema" <huitema@windows.microsoft.com>

> Yes. Maybe not a full MTA, but definitely enough to format messages and
> execute SMTP. ...

What do you mean by "execute SMTP"?  Does it interpret and respond to
SMTP response codes to its SMTP commands or just open a TCP connection
and send a largely constant handful of lines of text before the first
header line?  The samples I've captured have pretty rudimentary SMTP
envelopes.

> By the way, the worm does not only include its own SMTP service. It
> seems to also include its own DNS code, probably in order to get the MX
> records of its targets. ...

That would be far more impresssive, although given the many resolver
libraries available, nothing to write home about.

Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com