RE: FW: Virus alert

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Christian Huitema wrote:

> >> Can't we just hack the mailman configs to dump mails with X-sender
> value
> >> of outlook or outlook express?  That would solve the problem, no;)
> >
> > Well, the only problem with that idea is that we explicitly do *NOT*
> have > a "Your clue must be ->THIS<- tall to ride the IETF list"
> policy... ;)
>
> The Sobig worm includes its own SMTP code, and places arbitrary values
> in the header fields.

You mean to say that there is a full MTA tucked away in there?

> The source address is forged, and so are various
> other fields, including X-Mailer.

Perhaps you misunderstood my intentions.  My intentions accociated with
this post had nothing to do with the worm.

> The worm finds target source and
> destination addresses by reading files on the user's disk, not by using
> a specific Outlook or OE API. It propagates by "social engineering",
> when users open some executable attachments.

Since when is social engineering a desktop activity.  The last time I
checked, social engineering was along the lines of thank you for the shiny
new job, now i'm going to hide a rouge server on your network.

> User can do click on
> attachments with many mailers, not just Outlook and OE. In fact, the
> latest versions of Outlook automatically strip such attachments.

I'm glad I don't have to click on my mail.

> -- Christian Huitema

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout