Re: Solving the right problems ...

> We now have FQDNs that identify services or hosts, and we have IP
> addresses, that identify hosts or routing+interface. In order to
> decrease the ambiguity to managable levels, we need to move the FQDNs
> and especially IP addresses away from identifying hosts, and introduce
> and explicit host or "stack name" identifier. Host identifiers should
> look like IPv6 (maybe optionally IPv4) addresses, in order to be able
> to keep using our current protocols that expect 16/4 bit values. (And
> there isn't much of substance to be gained by giving them a different
> shape.)

mostly agree, except that I suspect it works better to put the new layer
between IP and transport than to insert a layer underneath IP.  part of
this assumption is that the new layer can still be nil for hosts whose
location is fixed and that do not need unreasonably stable addresses.

> Where necessary, FQDNs can be replaced by application specific
> namespaces with a system to map those names to host identifiers to go
> along with such a new space.

I don't see a need to change FQDNs themselves - but the meanings of the
IP addresses that they map to will change slightly.

> The hard part is coming up with a way to
> do the host/location mapping in a way that is simple, fast, cheap,
> secure, flexible and reliable.

yup.  that, and making the transition work smoothly.

Keith