RE: Solving the right problems ...

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> The multi6 wg has been working on locator/identifier separation as a
> way to solve the multihoming in IPv6 problem for a while now.
>
> The problems we're facing (apart from the fact that there are
> many ways
> to skin this particular cat and everyone has a different
> preference) is
> that additional mechanisms are needed to get the extra information
> across, and there is a price to be paid in one or more of: additional
> round trips, more dependence on the DNS or something similar to DNS,
> additional per-packet overhead, loss of backward compatibility,
> increased complexity.

At least the backward compatibility issue is primarily due to trying to
force a lower layer to mask the topological realities. There may be some
need for additional round trips, or enhanced mapping infrastructure, but if
that only applied to apps using a new stabilization layer, there wouldn't be
as much complaint because those would see a clear benefit. In any case I
don't think adding a layer will be a trivial task, but from here it looks
like the least the path of least resistance.

Tony