RE: WG Review: Centralized Conferencing (xcon)

[from the charter text]
> Initially this combination of protocols will be specified with respect
> to session setup with SIP. The solutions developed in XCON will not
> preclude operation with other signaling protocols; however it is
> anticipated that the use of other protocols would require modifications
> which are out of scope for this working group.

Regarding the name 'xcon' versus something like 'sipxcon', as the paragraph
above states, XCON does not want to preclude the possibility that its
mechanisms will work with other signaling protocols. It's possible that a
mechanism for conference control designed with SIP in mind could have some
applicability to other protocols (MGCP and Megaco come to mind - more likely
than not, anything SDP-based - but perhaps even non-IETF protocols like
H.323, and so on). In that sense I think the work really is somewhat more
generic than SIP - the group will not go out of its way to ensure its
applicability elsewhere, but the work isn't so tightly-coupled to SIP that
applicability in the rough neighborhood is impossible or even vastly
unlikely.

As far as I can tell, the paragraph above strikes the right balance, and
doesn't make unreasonable or ambitious claims about applicability. Perhaps
that paragraph's wording could be improved, or it could be placed more
prominently in the charter, or something (suggestions welcome). But I can't
imagine the charter text could be construed to imply that protocols like,
for example, XMPP would be bound or even encouraged to support the results
of XCON.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.