Re: re the plenary discussion on partial checksums

At 02:05 PM 7/16/2003 -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:
The last time I saw a comparision of checksum algorithm strengths was back
in the OSI days when the IP checksum was compared to the OSI Fletcher
checksum (my memory is that the IP checksum came in second.)

um, well, it was certainly behind the Fletcher checksum; the IP and TCP checksums are trivial to beat - you can literally swap any two 16 bit words without fear. The Fletcher checksum isn't as strong as a CRC, but I did see its strength compared positively with a CRC. The XNS checksum (one's complement sum, like IP, but with rotation) fell somewhere in between.

As I understood the discussion, it wasn't so much about getting a better error check as it was adding FEC, however. Even a 32 bit CRC loses its value above 10^5 bits, and we're talking about 10^5 *bytes*.