Re: Korean cell phones

On Friday, Jul 18, 2003, at 04:34 Canada/Eastern, Ole J. Jacobsen wrote:

- GSM is very limited, if at all existent (I found one network listed as
"planned for Sept 2003")

I was in Seoul a few weeks ago and my tri-band GSM handset couldn't find any network. There may be GSM coverage somewhere, but it certainly doesn't make itself easy to find.

- Some providers appear to offer roaming using your GSM SIM card in a
  Korean CDMA handset (unless I got that all wrong)

There are some details here:

http://www.ktfroaming.com/

KT seem to have a large pile of agreements in place with GSM operators. Microcell send me a flyer not long ago which said that you could rent a CDMA handset at the airport suitable for use with one of their SIMs for $1.50 per day (Canadian dollars).

Joe