RE: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Paul Hoffman / IMC writes:
 > At 4:58 PM -0700 5/29/03, Tony Hain wrote:
 > >The sysadmin effort would be setting up an automated way to hand out
 > >keys, and the user would have a one-time (or very infrequently) effort
 > >to establish a key pair.
 >
 > And you are saying that is trivial? How would a typical user know
 > which third parties to trust? How would the typical user know what to
 > do when they started getting spam through this filter? How would the
 > typical user know what to do when someone wants to send him/her mail
 > but can't because the sender isn't in the right trust group?
 >
 > If you have already worked this out and I missed it, my apologies. A
 > pointer to that document would be very helpful.

In reality, is this any more onerous than trying
to decide which spam or virus filters I should
trust? I "trust" spamassassin pretty explicitly
not to be a bad guy. If they distributed me a
public key I should trust too, would that really
change anything? Also: why need this be especially
different than the trust roots pre-loaded in
Mozilla, say? This problem space seems to much
more web-like than, oh say, peer to peer
authentication for computerized financial
transactions...

		Mike