Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

> Please indicate some historical basis for moving an installed base of
> users on this kind of scale and for this kind of reason.

Times have changed.  End users aren't the problem anymore.  We have
easy, if not automatic, updating for every major user environment.  The
critical point is the SMTP servers.  I believe the great majority of
them understand the spam pain, so they would be motivated to change.
You throttle SMTP relative to the enhanced protocol to motivate the
remaining good guys to convert, and as time goes on and only the bad
guys are left, you throttle it even more.

.swb