RE: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On donderdag, mei 29, 2003, at 21:34 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony
> Hain wrote:
>
> > The fundamental legal issue we need to deal with is the ability to
> > absolutely identify the originator of the mail. Is that
> precluded by
> > any existing privacy laws? If not, identity would provide
> the means to
> > pursue financial recourse for wasted time and resources. If
> so, we have
> > a non-technical issue that may prevent any solution.
>
> Too bad the bad ideas get much more air time than the good ones.
> Yesterday some really good points were brought up, today we're mostly
> rehashing the bad stuff.
>
> About the law: current laws are unable to keep spam in check.

I was not asking about spam law. I was trying to be specific about any
privacy laws that would prevent identification of the originator of a
message. As long as there is a legal way to undeniably trace the message
origin, there is a chance we can build a technical approach to bulk
message handling system that will end random spam.

> The real question is whether the current protocols
> exhibit flaws that make the spam problem worse than it would
> be without
> those flaws; and whether improved protocols can be implemented and
> deployed at reasonable levels of effectiveness and efficiency.

I would argue yes, in that it is impossible to nail down the originator
with the current system.

> It seems the answer to this was "no" five or six years ago.
> In the mean
> time, many things have changed. We now have more advanced techniques
> and more processing power at our disposal. Also, spamming in general
> has become much worse and many more children are online now, who are
> subjected to spam that isn't always "child friendly" to say
> the least.
> Maybe the answer is still "no" but the time is right to at least
> revisit the question.

I agree.

Tony