Re: spam

On Thu, 29 May 2003 06:20:47 +0200, Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>  said:

> A simple e-mail implementation of this would be to place a random string in
> the subject line of a message intended for a specific recipient that serves
> the same purpose as this "secret number."

This works for the somewhat restricted case of e-mail between people who
already have some out-of-band way of communicating.

You're welcome to extend your proposal to handle bootstrapping
communications between people who haven't before - if the whole intent
of the "secret number" is so I can ignore email without it so I don't
get spam, people can't send me e-mail to ask me for a secret number
so they can e-mail me...

And if I *still* have to check my mail that doesn't have the number on it,
in case I've missed a request like that, what has this proposal bought me?

> Hash it and sign it with the public key of the recipient.  That would work,
> because spammers would not have the public key, whereas legitimate senders
> would.

Only if it's an *UNPUBLISHED* public key - at which point it just degenerates
into your "secret number" protocol, with the same bootstrapping issues.