Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Tony writes:

> Not if it simultaneously wants protection from
> liability for any content that the customer might
> be sending.

Now that I can fully agree with, although it's not an engineering issue.

ISPs that simultaneously want common-carrier protection from liability AND
the ability to finely dictate what types of traffic they will accept need to
choose one or the other.  Either you screen and restrict the traffic on your
network, but you take full responsibility for whatever is passing over it,
or you just provide raw bandwidth and you are shielded from any claims of
impropriety in the use thereof.  You can't have it both ways, as companies
like Prodigy have discovered.