Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Tony,

TH> With this type of policy, the operations community is dictating which
TH> applications can be run from specific ranges of IP addresses.

Does an ISP have a *right* to specify what applications may be run by
their customers?

Well, certainly an ISP has a right to make specifications concerning
consumption of the ISP's resources, and restrictions of applications
might be seen as falling under this.

That said, yes, this is about as dumb as an ISP's rules can get.
Certainly as cynical and possibly as manipulative.

The question is what the IETF can or should do about bad ISP customer
policies, when those policies do not cause operations problems for the
rest of the Internet?

d/

ps.  When AOL, MSN and Yahoo announced that they were going to lead an
initiative for spam control, it *did* occur to me that the policies that
might be tolerable for their mass-market customers would be entirely
inappropriate and damaging to the rest of the Internet's user base.

--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>