Re: spam (fwd) (edit error on previous)

On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:53:12 PDT, Peter Deutsch said:

> The case we prosecuted turned out to be a small group of kids breaking
> into compute hosts, but from what I was told I would think you should be
> able to use the same provision against spam relayers, since the key
> element was the unauthorized use of compute cycles, not what they did
> with the cycles.

IANAL by any means, but I suspect that the owner of an open relay would have
a hard time demonstrating unauthorized use of cycles to relay mail *through
an open relay*.  Now if the spammer actively *bypassed* a security feature
in order to relay the mail, that would be different, as it would indicate
that they knew it was unauthorized...