Re: spam (fwd) (edit error on previous)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Dean writes:
>
> > Many countries have extradition treaties.
>
> For certain crimes.  Spamming is not likely to qualify.
>
> > Perhaps you should look more closely.
>
> Why?  It's spam.

I can see you have a goal of limiting Type 1 spam, using the harms of Type
2 and Type 3 spam. This effort is doomed to fail.

> > That they are free.
>
> But they _are_ free.

Sorry. You are wrong.  Only I get to set prices on my services. You don't
get to tell others false prices.

> > Telephone systems can also have open relay services
> > configured, but it is well established that unuathorized
> > use is toll fraud.
>
> I'm not aware of any similar jurisprudence having been established for the
> Internet.

Fraud is common law, which applies to the internet.  After $5000, it
becomes a federal felony. State laws have other requirements.

		--Dean