Re: site-local != NAT

> There were several proposals to remove the ambiguity in the current
> SL, so continued dislike of them shows that is not the underlying
> issue.

I don't think this conclusion is valid.  What I am certain of is that
our ability to evaluate the subtle differences between these proposals,
and the advantages and disadvantages of each, is compromised by a
widespread failure to respect the diversity of experiences and the
diversity of users' legitimate needs.  Under such circumstances, people
are forced to shoot down half-baked ideas, just as a means of damage
control, rather than trying to refine them.

As a result, I don't think any of the various proposals for unique
non-PA addresses have received adequate scrutiny.

> > > Our task is to look at the overall system the way that network
> > > managers really run (or want to run) it, then figure out
> > > what it will take to make that happen.
> >
> > funny, I thought our primary task was to design a network that could
> > support useful applications.
>
> No that is the network managers task. One could argue that many of the
> problems in making progress in the IETF are about this confusing of
> roles.

Network managers don't design IP protocols, nor do they implement IP
stacks or routers.  If the protocols we design don't support what users
need from the Internet, there's nothing a network manager can do to fix
this.

Keith