Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

Mark Allman wrote:

So, we raise the fees to cover our expenses, but continue to offer
the possibility of a break by applying for a reduced rate from some
"fee grant fund".

Processing those applications would mean lots more work for the Secretariat. And then there'd be the time spent on people complaining because they were turned down.

(And, there would be several well-known
categories of folk who would be helped: academics, students,
self-funded, folks from non-profits, whatever)

"Self-funded" is problematic, though: how do you tell the difference between someone who really is paying his own way and someone who's going to expense it? And what about a consultant with his own small business; if he owns the business outright, and the business pays the way, is that self-funded or not?

I think other organizations make this kind of distinction work by giving more rights to people who pay more; that would be the opposite of what we want to do here.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke@centive.com            |