Publishing the budget (Re: Fwd: Re: Financial state of the IETF -to be presented Wednesday)

--On 18. mars 2003 10:02 -0800 Bob Hinden <hinden@IPRG.nokia.com> wrote:

Harald,

At 07:35 AM 3/18/2003, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

Hi Harald,

At 09:10 PM 3/14/2003 +0100, you wrote:
On Wednesday at the IESG plenary, I'm doing a presentation about IETF
financials.

I have a few questions and comments on this presentation.

Do we have a real budget for 2003? Or are the numbers for
2003 based on the projection information (from the slide
labeled "Predicting the Future")?

If we do have a budget, could you make it publicly available?
It would be useful to get more information about where the
money is coming from, and where it is going. Without that
sort of information, it would be difficult to make the choices
outlined on the last slide.

I second Margaret Wasserman's suggestion that the 2003 budget information should be made public. The funding funding of the IETF comes from a mix of registration fees and ISOC funding. All of this information should be public and made available to the IETF community.

I do have a budget from the Foretec president, which is specified to about the same granularity as the report on http://www.ietf.org/u/chair/ for 2001.
(actually I have several, based on different projections of attendance; I'm using the scenario I consider most likely)

That budget shows the shortfall from the summary slides, and its cost distribution is not terribly different from that in the 2001 figures.
At the moment, I want to gauge the mood of the community towards various changes we can make, and then see how much we can do of what the community favours (whether it's raising the fee by USD 100, scrounging for sponsorships, or other things), and what the effect on the 2003 budget is likely to be.

I'll make it public when we (the Foretec president and the IETF leadership) agree that this is a reasonable budget to go forward with; we agree that going forward on the present budget wouldn't be fiscally responsible.

Margaret also asked:

Who decides how much of the ISOC's income is directed to IETF
activities? Do we know what percentage of ISOC's income is
represented in the $500-600K number?

This could be better answered by Fred Baker - but I think it's about half their budget.

Also, you have omitted at least one possible choice from
the section on options:

We could attempt to increase fundraising for ISOC/the IETF. For
instance, we don't send fundraising requests to IETF attendees
(at least I've never received any). Does ISOC engage a professional
fundraising firm? If not, maybe that should be considered.

I didn't think of that...... fundraising for "professional" matters is not a common thing in Norwegian society, being more reserved for humanitarian and social causes..... is it commonly done here in the US?

if aimed at corporations, I would think they would consider it as either sponsorship or as corporate memberships; I know that ISOC has a quite conscious fundraising strategy - but I'll not be the one to ask ISOC to start direct-mail campaigns to gather money..... not after they closed down their paid individual membership program because it cost them more to manage the memberships than what the revenue stream generated....

Harald