Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

At 03:20 PM 3/15/2003 -0500, Melinda Shore wrote:
>> My guess is that going to two would hurt income, unless we raise fees by
>> 50% - the same people would come, I think.
>> Going to four would be damaging to my sanity, at least - don't know about
>> others'.... we whould expect slightly lower per-meeting attendance, but
>> many would indeed feel obligated to go to all four, so would pay more, I
>> think. Whether they would get more things done is an open question.
>
>I hate the idea of more travel, plus I suspect 4 may be
>harder to justify to management.  However, try as we may to
>do things "right," the IETF is increasingly doing its work
>at meetings instead of mailing lists.  If we can't fix it we
>should probably accept it.  Also, more regular meetings
>might tend to discourage interim meetings, which would be
>excellent.

I agree.  Given that the work of the IETF is centered on the
publication of documents, and given that most I-Ds are published
near the I-D cutoff deadlines, it stands to reason that IETF
productivity will increase by 33% if the number of publication
cycles per year is increased from 3 to 4.

>Melinda

Andy