Re: IAB policy on anti-spam mechanisms?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:41:41AM -0600, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
> Many sites, including my university, support STARTTLS+AUTH on the
> Submission port (587, RFC 2476), which I believe is the recommended
> service for clients to use to submit mail in any case (though not
> well-supported among MUAs, to my knowledge), and also is effective at
> getting around ISP blockage of port 25.  Of course if it becomes very
> popular the misguided ISPs will block it too.

Yup, the problem with well-known ports is that well-known port numbers
get either (a) blocked by misguded ISP's, or (b) transparently proxed
by misguided ISP's.  Since I have no idea what sort of stupidity I
might encounter at various different hotel, conference, or 802.11
hotspot networks, it's more convenient for me to use a non-standard
port.

The MUA issue isn't important in my case, because I run a local MTA on
my latop (exim), which is configured to do the STARTTLS and AUTH, so I
can use any MUA I wish.

						- Ted