Re: email and spam (was: Re: namedroppers, continued)

Another thought on the spam problem and Frequently Proposed Solutions
in general: as a community we have become obsessed with ephemeral
information.  That is, we all sit in front of our terminals, read our
email, (re-)invent new ideas, and spew them instantly across the world;
these ideas are lost and forgotten in a week.

The web does go some limited way towards creating archival information
-- ideas that remain and can be used to inform later idea -- but it
does not go far enough.  Ultimately, the only way we can avoid
regurgitating the same ideas over and over is to invest some of our
effort in converting ephemeral information into truly archival
information.  This is a shift with some analogy to the shift of
civilization that resulted from replacing conversations around the
campfire with written words on tablets and in books.  Creating
competant and useful archival material is hard intellectual work,
harder than sitting in front of our terminals, reading our email,
(re-)inventing ... etc., but I believe it is the only real path
to progress.

In the Internet community, the RFC series of docuemnts has been
perpetuated as an archival document series for this purpose.

Bob Braden