Re: namedroppers, continued

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:33:28 EST, Doug said:

> After examining the headers of many of the spam advertisments I get
> and trying to contact the administrator of the network it came from I
> find that it is usually futile because the network doesn't exist and
> the IP information is incorrect. I also find that most use false
> sender and reply address information (in an attempt to keep recipiants
> from filtering them). This makes it hard (at least for me) to do
> anything about them.

The trick here is to remember that except for the relative few spammers that
are advocating a religious/political/philosophical viewpoint (a la "Uncertainty
Principle is Untenable!"), the spammers *WANT* you to be able to contact them
via *some* means - they can't extract money (their usual goal) from you if
you can't get back to them.

Moreover, it has to be relatively simple to find - it has to be simple enough
that even a victim who doesn't have enough kloo to stop to wonder why the
"confidential and private" Nigerian scam arrived via spammage can figure out
how to get aboard....

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer