Re: namedroppers, continued

--On mandag, januar 06, 2003 02:01:27 -0500 Doug <Dougxx2@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

Your proposal would fix the problem, but end up tossing a large quantity
of babies out with the bathwater.  The problem is that for the case of
a mailing list, you have *4* (at least) things to keep track of:
There are many comercial email servers that require the people sending
email with their server to log into the server using a valid username and
pass before
doing so. I doubt they are losing any valid emails. All it does is to keep
unauthorized users from using the server without a valid password. The
reason
to require that the sender address in the outgoing email matches the email
address refrenced in the account is to keep people from sending spam from
these email servers and using fraudulant return and/or sender address.
I fail to see how this throws out any babies. perhaps I am missing
something.
well....think about how mail from someone who is not an user of that system (like me) can send mail there....

how does your system tell the difference between a remote mail server and a malicious user?

Harald