Re: Status of draft-christey-wysopal-vuln-disclosure-00.txt

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 01:18:07 -1000, Jason Coombs said:
> Thanks for the replies, those of you who have already provided feedback on
> my inquiry into currently-accepted best practices for responsible disclosure
> considering the disappearance of
> draft-christey-wysopal-vuln-disclosure-00.txt ... Enclosed below is a
> security alert issued today that includes a revised Responsible Disclosure
> section that I think would make a good starting point for a new Internet
> Draft.

Jason - I think you misunderstood something in a very major way...

> Neither its authors nor any other party chose to advance a responsible
> disclosure standard through any IETF working group due to lack of interest.
> Therefore the following observations take priority as de facto "best
> practices" for information security and encryption research and responsible
> communication of security- and cryptography-related vulnerability findings:

The general consensus as I read it was that the christey-wysopal draft was
generally considered a very good and reasonable document.

The only reason it did not get progressed through the IETF process was that
there was a general belief that the *subject matter* was not an IETF issue.
It's important, but it's not a topic we write RFC's about.

This is something that probably some other group should be running with.
I've taken the liberty of cc:ing some of the people at SANS and the
Center for Internet Security in hopes that they'll either pick it up or
know who should be doing it.
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer