Re: Last Call: Traffic Engineering Extensions to OSPF Version 2 to Proposed Standard

Suresh,

> > > Yakov - You are right. The draft does talk about different
> > > mechanisms the MPLS signaling protocols could use to setup
> > > LSPs in an AS spanning multiple areas. However, the draft is
> > > not about inter-area OSPF TE.
> >
> > The draft is about multi-area TE, as it describes how to solve
> > the problem of supporting TE in a multi-area environment.
>
> OK.
>
> > > Clearly, there is interplay between signalling protocols and
> > > the extent of TE link state data base (TE-LSDB) a node has.
> > > I believe, scenario-3 is where the inter-area OSPF-TE is in
> > > place and all nodes in an area have the same information as
> > > their ABRs do. This scenario presents the signalling protocols
> > > with fast convergence in settign up an LSP, right.
> >
> > Just to point out that quite a few scenarios described in
> > draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt are supported with the TE
> > extensions that are subject to this Last Call. To repeat what
> > Kireeti said already "There is work going on to address multi-area
> > TE *that builds on this draft*."
> >

> Yakov - My comment on the katz-yeung draft concerning multi-area
> is that it supports TE in a single OSPF area; and hence to rename
> the draft as "TE extensions to an OSPFv2 area".

Let's be precise. The katz-yeung draft defines certain TE-related
information, and specifies how to distribute this information within
a single area. That is it.

> My recommendation against using this draft as the basis for
> building further TE-extensions to inter-area and mixed networks
> was in the context of OSPF Autonomous System (AS). I also
> mentioned the draft has scalability limitations in extending this
> to inter-area and mixed networks -  also in the context of OSPF AS.
>
> Without going into the details of the "Multi-area MPLS Traffic
> Enginering" draft - The work cited in this draft as going on to
> address multi-area TE is in the MPLS signalling context, not in
> the OSPF.

As I said in my previous e-mail quite a few scenarios described in
draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt are supported with the TE
extensions that are subject to this Last Call. That is precisely
while quite a few scenarios in the "Multi-area MPLS Traffic Engineering"
draft do not require any additions to what is already defined
in the katz-yeung draft.

Yakov.