Re: DNSEXT WGLC Summary: AXFR clarify

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:53:28 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer said:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 08:58:22AM -0000,
>  D. J. Bernstein <djb@cr.yp.to> wrote
>  a message of 26 lines which said:
>
> > DNSEXT chair Olafur Gudmundsson, who has been paid for BIND work, writes:
>
> For me, this is too much.

Now, on the *one* hand, I'd be surprised indeed if the chair of DNSEXT had NOT
been paid by somebody to do BIND consulting somewhere along the line.

On the other hand, if Olafur is in fact making a living doing BIND9
development and coding for ISC or one of their clients, that might be
called a "conflict of interest" when the issue at hand is that a specific
document is "too BIND9 specific".

Personally, I'm OK with Olafur making money doing BIND.  I'm even OK on him
possibly making more if the draft becomes an RFC in its current state.  I
admit I've looked through RFC2026 and found nothing about disclosure of
conflict of interest(*).  I hate making more work for the AD and IESG, but
I think at least a "We've talked to Olafur and do/dont think there's a
problem" is called for.

(*) I'll let wiser people than I decide if there should be such a section
in a son-of-2026....
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer