Re: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You

On 23 Nov 2002, Paul Vixie wrote:

> vint, the thing you're not including in your analysis is that mr. baptista
> is a dns pirate and his article in circleid was entirely self-serving and
> politically based.

Paul baby - it's a honour to get such recognition from you.  But where's
your Proof?

Now Paul - I find it somewhat entertaining that you would crawl out of
your wintering hole and growl at me and make false accusation i can use
againts you.  Thats not nice Paul.  And frankly it's my opinion that such
baseless jibberish is below you.  Your a recognized leader in this
community.  A root server operator.  You even went along with postel
on the hi-jacking (or was that test) if the root servers.  Paul your a
legend in internet history.  What you have to say carries weight here.
Yet your so quick to anger and libel.  I ask that you refrain from this
shameful conduct.

or give me proof of your claims?

> > The issue is less the size of the file than the problem of updating many
> > copies of it reliably. The root server operators find it a challenge to
> > assure that even the modestly sized root zone file is correctly distributed
> > to all root servers accurately and in a timely fashion.
>
> that's our issue.  mr. baptista's issue is that he wants everyone on the net
> to have their own unique root, each with a set of tld's seasoned to local
> tastes, ideally with many of them pointing at tld's he controls.  this is no
> different in its end result from what new.net wants, it's just a different
> method of achieving it.

I'll tell you what mr. baptista wants.  he wants a zone file that
is simular to the .com file.  A place where everyone can get their own
tld.  The roots are irrelevant to the issue - they are simply a false
monopoly obstacle in a game where the end user is in charge.  The current
USG root monopoly is built on ignorance and mr. baptista wants to see that
ignorance evaporate.

> the thing that surprised me was that circleid actually published his article,
> including URL at the end (http://www.dot-god.com/resources/ROOT.html) which
> points to mr. baptista's activism/piracy site.  i had not thought of circleid
> as a tabloid until yesterday.

Paul - there's no other place to put it.  You'll notice in my other
articles published at circleid that i use lists.

example:

http://www.circleid.com/articles/2539.asp

in this case i linked to an ipv6 list of isp's as the story was on ipv6.

it's important that my readers have references to investigate.  something
i don't find in many articles these days.

but i do appreciate your concern.  i'll suggest to my editor that any
lists i use he feel free to duplicate on circleid.  now paul i can't make
any promisses.  means more work - but at least your feedback will be
heard.

> (what's worse, i think that we are both now guilty of feeding the trolls.)

well if i'm a troll then you've been a tasty nibble.

but paul - let's try to get along here.  the ietf list is one of the few
lists i'm on which is civilized.  let's try to work towards that together.

kindest regards
joe baptista