Re: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, vinton g. cerf wrote:

> Louis Touton is Vice President and General Counsel of ICANN.

Sorry about that.  Must be a cut and paste typo I missed.  I'll have it
fixed.

> ICANN has had a root server advisory committee from early days, working
> on root server placement to improve resilience; the security and
> stability advisory committee was created in the wake of 9/11 and
> has increased the priority of root server security evaluation.

I know.  It a very patriotic committee - but what exactly has it done
concerning root security.  I'd like to examine the documents the committee
presented in shanghai - but i can't find it on the web site.

Basically I'm interested to know if they addressed these recent attacks.
Like everyone else I heard the rumour -

"Informed sources at ICANN expect that the committee will initially
recommend that ISPs take steps to prevent packets with forged IP addresses
from  being used in DDOS attacks."

But I've seen nothing so far.

regards
joe baptista