Re: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, vinton g. cerf wrote:

> The USG doesn't actually run the root server (although some of the
> root servers are in fact housed at USG supported laboratories). The
> Dept of Commerce in effect delegates the actual operation to the root
> server operators.

As a technical, legal, and historical matter the USG does not "delegate"
root server management to anyone.  Root server operators are volunteers
and self-organizing. The USG lacks the authority to tell them what to do,
or to fire them.  Indeed, as you note, some are not affiliated with the US
in any way.

Nit-picking, yes, but fairly important when sorting out who has authority
over what.  (Cf.
http://personal.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/formandsubstance.pdf for
a discussion of the legal import of the root sever operator's legal
position.)

> The issue is less the size of the file than the problem of updating many
> copies of it reliably. The root server operators find it a challenge to
> assure that even the modestly sized root zone file is correctly distributed
> to all root servers accurately and in a timely fashion.

Are there statistics on this?  Certainly the published info I've seen is
more of the patting-self-on-back variety.

--
		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
                        -->It's hot here.<--